Moroccan Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 whole chicken (Cheat with a market rotisserie chicken and you can be done in a flash)
- 2 onions
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup dark cocoa powder
- ½ cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh tarragon
- Good sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper . . .
- Garlic powder . . .
- Onion powder . . .
- Cinnamon . . . (a little of each . . . maybe a half teaspoon, but mostly just to taste)
- A little nutmeg . . . maybe a teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons good thick balsamic
- 1 cup hearty red wine
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Boil the chicken and shred the meat. Set aside.
- Sauté onions in your favorite oil until light and translucent. Add remaining ingredients, except for the cheese. Bring to a boil and add the shredded chicken.
- Cover with mashed potatoes (Yukon gold make the best mashed . . . and use real butter, would you? The trick to perfect mashed potatoes every time is to melt the butter in the milk before adding to the potatoes). Cover with a little shredded Parm and bake for about 45 minutes at 350ºF.