Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- 2 heads garlic
- 6 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup butter
- 1 (12 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) block aged sharp white Vermont cheddar, grated
- 1½ pounds cooked pancetta, julienned
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Cut tops off garlic heads. Wrap in foil and roast for 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove flesh from garlic heads and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, cook potatoes in enough salted water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to stockpot. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth; adding salt, to taste, pepper, butter, the roasted garlic, and sour cream. With a spatula, stir in cheese and pancetta. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary. Serve immediately.